Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Taco Soup

The weather turned cold on Sunday and I had some hamburger meat to use up, so I made taco soup. And in my house, you can't have taco soup without cornbread, so I whipped some of that up as well.



Taco Soup
~~~~~~~~
1 lb. ground beef, browned
1/4 medium onion, diced
salt & pepper

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 cans pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn (you could use frozen)
1 can diced tomatoes

Optional toppings:
cheese, grated
avocado
sour cream
cilantro sprigs

1. Brown the ground beef. I dice about 1/4 of an onion and throw it in with the beef as well as adding salt & pepper. Drain any grease.
2. Add the other ingredients. If you don't have all the seasonings, you can substitute taco seasoning. I find taco seasoning too salty for my tastes so I use the seasonings so I can control the salt content as well as the hotness level.



3. Add enough water to cover, and stir.
4. Cover with lid, turn heat to medium, and bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling, tilt lid so it's covering most of the soup but the steam can escape (this keeps it boiling), reduce heat to half and continue to boil, stirring occasionally.

If you're making cornbread to go with your soup, remove the lid from the soup and turn it to simmer when you put your cornbread in the oven.

When ready to serve, top with cheese and/or your choice of toppings. I used cheddar cheese and a sprig of cilantro. That cilantro really gave the soup a nice flavor!! Slurp!



Cornbread recipe coming in the next post!