Sunday, December 28, 2008

Some Christmas Creations

This was originally posted on my cross stitching blog on December 21, 2008.

This past week was the official Christmas baking week at my house. I love to bake, especially during the holidays. Since I don't have family over to enjoy these tasty treats, I pawn them off on the people at work. They don't seem to mind....

First off, we had Chocolate Chip cookies. Who doesn't like Chocolate Chips??? It's my all-time favorite cookie. I could eat the entire bowl of raw cookie dough (& not share ANY!!!), but I decided not to since I'd probably end up spending my entire night and the next day in the bathroom. My boss probably wouldn't appreciate that, so I was a good girl. Mostly anyway! LOL

We went from this heavenly creation...



to this...



and this...



and finally these!!



Oh my gosh! They were so absolutely delicious, especially just warm from the oven. I think I'm going to have to make some more!! LOL

Then, I made my annual batch of Crockpot Candy. This stuff is absolutely DIVINE and makes a boatload of candy. I didn't take pictures this year of all the candy just after dipping, but here's a pic from a couple of Christmases ago when we made it with my dad.



This is the tray I took to work yesterday for us to munch on throughout the day.



And a closer view, just to make you drool!! LOL



Mom's Chocolate Chippers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat oven to 375º.

Combine:
4 1/2 C flour
2 t baking soda
2 t salt (or 1 if you're cutting back on salt)

Blend:
2 C vegetable shortening-Crisco(if you're using the Crisco sticks, add about 1/8 C more flour so cookies aren't paper thin)
1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 C firmly packed brown sugar
2 t vanilla extract
1 t water
4 eggs, room temperature

Add:
2 C chocolate chips
1 1/2 C chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)

In medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients and set aside. In large mixing bowl, blend the shortening, sugar, and brown sugar until well mixed. Add vanilla, water, and eggs, one at a time until fluffy. Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Mix until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips & nuts. (I use my mixer to stir them in.)

Drop by well-rounded teaspoons onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove to cooling racks to cool, if they last that long.

Notes:
I'm able to get them 5 across and 5 rows on my cookie sheets, which I've never greased before using.

If you're cookies spread too much, you don't want them flat as a pancake, but nicely rounded, add a bit more flour.

Chill dough for a couple of hours before cooking for better cookie results.

If using the Crisco sticks, add about 1/8 C more flour or your cookies will be flatter than a pancake and crispy critters.

You can also use this recipe, only cut in half to make a pan cookie or cookie bars. When I do this, I use 1 C nuts and 2 C chocolate chips. Bake at 375º for 20-25 mins.



Crockpot Candy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 oz can salted peanuts or mixed nuts
16 oz dry roasted peanuts
1 large bag (24 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips
2 pkgs white almond bark
1 German chocolate bar

Combine all ingredients in large crock pot and cook on LOW. Forget it for 2 hours. Stir to blend and dip out into pieces onto waxed paper to cool. Makes a big bunch.