Saturday, December 27, 2008

Welcome to My Kitchen

I realized that I was posting a lot of baking stuff on my stitching website , so I decided to start a food blog to share my food posts. My plan is to post recipes and pictures, maybe even step-by-step pics if I have time.

I'm not a professional cook or baker, but I do enjoy cooking and baking for me and my husband. I belong to a couple of recipe groups, subscribe to a couple of cooking magazines, and have several food blogs and websites bookmarked. I often share my baked goods with my co-workers since it's just me and the husband here at home. I've been cooking most of my life, starting at my mom's elbow when I was just a young girl. I remember standing on the kitchen stool to "help" my mom bake and cook. By the time I was in high school, I could bake and cook independently.

I'm so glad my parents took the time to cook good meals and teach both me and my brother how to cook. My brother is an amazing cook and baker. My dad makes a mean from-scratch German Chocolate cake as well as many other foods such as biscuits and pancakes. His Italian Cream Cake isn't so bad either!! My mom excelled in cookies, cakes, and pies. Her pie crust was flaky every single time. I miss her pies, but I miss her cookies even more.

Most of the things I make are from scratch. I didn't grow up in a time where everything came in a box ready to prepare, so I seldom use those things. Usually, I find boxed mixes too salty and lacking any real flavor. Often, it's just as easy and less expensive to use the individual ingredients and do it myself. It's also usually a bit healthier, and the older I get the more important that becomes.

I'll leave this post with a link to one of my favorite cooking sites, The Pioneer Woman Cooks! Enjoy perusing Ree's site.